Flood Mitigation Measures Assessment Project
October 4, 2016
The 2013 flood caused significant social and economic disruption and unprecedented damages. The road from recovery to resiliency is a complex, long term process over many years with short, medium and long term milestones.
To ensure we have the best suite of mitigation measures for our community, Water Resources and Calgary Growth Strategies have undertaken the Flood Mitigation Measures Assessment Project. A key piece of this project is engaging with the community to gather their input on the difference mitigation scenarios.
The City of Calgary has hired ISL Engineering and Land Services to conduct the public engagement sessions and to produce a “What We Heard” report by the end of November. The Administration will use the input from citizens to inform a report going to Council in early 2017.
Here are some of the upcoming public sessions that you may want to attend. Please share them with your neighbours and network.
Pop-Up Displays (general information about the project and to promote workshops and public information sessions)
- Wednesday October 12, 11:00am-2:00pm, Bow River Pathway Eau Claire
- Thursday October 13, 11:00am-2:00pm, The Core Shopping Centre
- Saturday October 15, 2:00pm-5:00pm, Elbow River Pathway at Stanley Park
Registered Workshops (Facilitated workshops)
- Tuesday October 18, 6:00pm-8:30pm Hillhurst-Sunnyside Community Centre
- Thursday October 20, 6:00pm-8:30pm Riverbend Community Association
- Saturday October 22, 9:30am-12pm Bowness High School
- Monday October 24, 6:00pm-8:30pm Cliff-Bungalow/Mission Community Association
- Thursday October 27, 6:00pm-8:30pm Southern Alberta Pioneers Building (Rideau Park)
- Tuesday November 1, 6:00pm-8:30pm Alexandra Centre Society, Inglewood
Public Information Sessions (drop-in sessions)
- Thursday November 3, 6:00pm-8:30pm at Riverbend Community Association
- Saturday November 5, 9:30am-12:00pm at Queen Elizabeth High School
Online registration for the workshops will start October 3rd at http://engage.calgary.ca/flood. If you are unable to register online, contact ISL Engineering and Land Services at 403.254.0544 ext. 216.
No registration is required for the Pop-Up Displays or the Public Information Sessions.