September 2013 – March 2015 (estimated)
1. Geographic area of focus
- High River
2. What service the organization is providing
- Renovation/Flood Restoration (basement and/or main floor)
- New Construction
3. Who qualifies for the service
- Homeowners that have experienced flood damage to their primary residence and do not have access to sufficient resources to make the necessary repairs to their home.
- SP will focus on those who are uninsured, underinsured, or unable to get back home on their own as well as emphasis on vulnerable populations such as the elderly, people with disabilities, and single parents.
4. How the organization is operating
- Beginning Sept 1, Case Managers will follow up with homeowners
- Additional referrals may be received through long-term recovery committees functioning in the identified areas as well as through other agencies and churches that are aware of vulnerable individuals and families
- Case Managers will then follow up with applicants and will work together with the Program Manager to select participating households in accordance with established selection criteria
- New construction homes are built from plans provided and approved by Samaritan’s Purse, using standardized materials and approved finishes. Repair or renovation homes vary greatly in scope, but homeowners must be willing to accept standard product offerings and not expect extra upgrades in finishing, materials, and fixtures.
- Specific trade skills such as plumbing, electrical, etc will be needed at key intervals on each construction project. If volunteers with those skills are not available at that time, reduced-rate contractors can be used on a case-by-case basis when needed, although the desire is for the majority of the work to be completed by volunteers.
- All construction is carried out in accordance to local codes and permits in collaboration with zoning, planning, building, and inspection officials. As in the recovery phase, the majority of work will be carried out by teams of volunteers, under the supervision of trained staff to ensure worker safety and overall quality of workmanship
Samaritans Purse Canada
20 Hopewell Way NE
Calgary, AB T3J 5H5